Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:02:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        (Free BSD Questions list) <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ports question

On 28-Dec-98 Stan Brown wrote:
>       Is there aw way to make a given port go ahead, and downlaod any
>       others that it depends on, and build them first? I would have sworn
>       that the ports system sued to do this, but it doesn;t seem to be
>       doing it on my system at the moment.

Very strange.  I have no idea why this would be happening.

>       Also what about ports that may not be _required_, but may be used if
>       present, as in the Xaw3d widget set for the siag pory?

Assuming you have Xaw3d installed, and would like to build another port
using it instead of the standard Xaw, you have a bit of work to do.  First,
do a 'make configure' on the port.  This will perform all the steps up to,
but not including, actually building the port.  Then you'll need to cd into
the port's ${WRKSRC} directory and tinker with the Makefiles, config.h files
and so forth, substituting Xaw3d for Xaw.  Then cd back to the port's main
directory and make it.

Not terribly difficult, really.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>