Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:07:13 -0500
From:      Dave Duchscher <daved@tamu.edu>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Subject:   Re: 802.11 with best Apple compatibility?

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 09:46:08PM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:

> any success in using an Airport AP with non airport cards?

We have not had any problems using many different manufactures with
the Airport AP.  The only gotcha is if you using WEP.  Different
drivers using different methods of entering the key.  Some take it as
a hex number, others convert a text string into the full key.  We
decided not to use WEP so I haven't played with enough to give
detailed instructions.  There seems to be lots of gotchas on getting
WEP to work between manufactures.

DaveD