Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:29:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netect Advisory: palmetto.ftpd - remote root overflow (fwd)

    Here is an excerpt from the VR10 patch:

+ A recent discussion on BUGTRAQ pointed out a buffer-overrun in the realpath
+ function.  Bernard imported the FreeBSD realpath() function to correct this
+ error.  This closes Stan's TODO item 1.

    This infers that FreeBSD's realpath() function does not have a buffer
    overflow problem.  I've looked at the code, and it appears to not have
    a buffer overflow problem.

    					-Matt

:This advisory posted to the BUGTRAQ does not mention FreeBSD.
:
:I wonder if the FreeBSD's patches fix this vulnerability,
:and if so, what was the "turn point" date.
:
:Thanks,
:
:Igor
:...
:
:% wu-ftpd
:
:  Current version: 2.4.2 (beta 18), unknown release date.
:  All versions through 2.4.2 (beta 18): vulnerability dependant upon
:..
:
:  % wu-ftpd VR series
:
:    Current version: 2.4.2 (beta 18) VR12, released January 1, 1999.
:    All versions prior to 2.4.2 (beta 18) VR10: vulnerable.
:    Fix: incorporated into VR10, released November 1, 1998.