Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 1997 01:23:35 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Ian Wynne <ianw@ee.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: automating mail download

[Note:  This should have gone to freebsd-questions, not freebsd-ports]

> I'm using FreeBSD 2.1.5R. I connect to the internet using user land
> ppp. I've just setup qmail on my machine. Now I would like to
> automatically download my mail from the solaris 2.5 machine I dial up.
> The solaris machine is using smail and I don't have root privilege's
> on it.

What you want is something like `popper' (in fact, maybe exactly that)
on the Solaris box which allows a mail client like MH or ELM running
on the FreeBSD box to suck mail off it.

I'm not up on all the vagaries of compiling popper for Solaris, but
that's the basic idea you want to chase.  Most of the FreeBSD ported
mailers already support POP transfers, now you just need to make your
Solaris box play ball.

					Jordan