Date:      Sat, 3 May 2014 19:11:07 -0700
From:      <dteske@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        'Devin Teske' <dteske@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [OT] Mac OS X Notification Center and ssh-agent

Hi,

Apologies for being off-topic (as this e-mail is Mac Specific)
but I just wanted to share something that I think can help
make our lives a little bit more secure (for those FreeBSD
hackers and developers that use Macs).

I took Apple's forked version of OpenSSH available from
opensource.apple.com and I added support for Mac OS
X 10.8+ Notification Center.

The reason for this might be obvious, which is to have the
ssh-agent in Mac OS X pop up a notification every time it
uses my private key to sign a login request and keep a log
of notifications.

We can't always lock the keychain, put our machines to
sleep, or kill the running ssh-agent every time we walk
away from our Macs, so this addition not only helps notify
me of compromised connections to my agent when I'm at
the machine but also when I'm away from it.

My friend had a set of patches for doing this with Growl,
but now Growl is no longer free ($3.99 in the Mac App
Store) and has become obsolete by the Notification Center.

Here's an image of the notifications and the Notification
Center where they stack up.

http://devinteske.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Screen-Shot-2014-05-03-at-3.56.1
0-PM.png

Here's a binary that I made for 10.9.2,...
http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/ssh-agent+notifications.osx-10.9.2.tbz

But if you don't trust the binary (why should you?) here's
the source...
https://github.com/devinteske/apple/tree/master/OpenSSH-186/openssh

And to compile it:
./configure --with-pam --with-audit=bsm
make

(you only need the resulting ssh-agent binary)

I basically took Apple's forked version and added a new
Obj-C file named ssh-agent-notify.m, a header for it,
and modified Makefile.in as well as ssh-agent.c (it's all in
the git repository linked-to above).

Full blog on the deal...
http://devinteske.com/ssh-agent-notifications-osx/
--