Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 17:27:01 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Translation Adaptec 1542 versus NCR810

>> Quick question: is  the translation mode used  by a Adaptec 1542A (32 hd,
>> 64  sect or the other way  around (I always  forget)) the same as the one
>> used by a NCR810 ?

>I'm afraid not... Last time I installed a disk in a friend's machine with a
>NCR, it used something like 33hd/63sect or 63hd/33 sect :-(

I tried modifying the geometry for one of my (installed) drives on a BT445C
the other day.  It was easy to set up the following geometries without
affecting the FreeBSD partitions (sd1s2-sd1s4).  Even the DOS partition
(sd1s1) worked according to chkdsk, but since it didn't have any files on
it and the DOS BPB has the geometry in it, I wouldn't trust it.

Method: run FreeBSD fdisk (fdisk -u /dev/rsd1) and change the "parameters
to be used for the BIOS calculations", then answer `y' to all questions
about changing the partitions, but hit return to accept the defaults.
Reboot and the BT445C will report the changed geometry if the change is
valid. I tried the following:

	64  heads 32 sectors	original
	128 heads 32 sectors	worked
	256 heads 32 sectors	BT445C thought it was 255 heads 32 sectors (?)
	256 heads 63 sectors	BT445C thought it was 255 heads 63 sectors
	255 heads 63 sectors	worked

I'm now using 255 heads 63 sectors but I wouldn't expect all controllers to
agree on this.  The BT445C apparently uses similar guesses (based on the
partition table) to FreeBSD to decide the geometry but it may have a better
default (64/32?) when the partition table is empty.

The geometry for IDE drives is almost as flexible.  The following works for
my 1993 AMI BIOS:

	Enter a physically and BIOSically possible geometry in setup
	(physical: H <= 16; BIOS: S <= 63).  The BIOS is too old to
	support H> 16.

	Update the partition table as above to match the geometry.

Bruce