Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:32:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP address caching bug?

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Mark Tinguely wrote:

> > It seems that an interface configured with an address, which is then
> > deleted, and then set to a different address on the same network, the
> > machine continues to use the original address although all evidence of it
> > is gone.
>
> delete any static routes before adding a new address:
>
> 	# route flush
>
> most of the time these routes were automatically learned with normal net use.
> FreeBSD has behaved like this for a long time.
>
> --mark.

While we're on the subject, I have a simalar problem. I have some
FreeBSD servers that have a FreeBSD box as their default gateway.
There is a Cisco routing device on the same segment. Packets
from the servers to hosts behind the the Cisco go to the default
gateway (this design is an interim design) as expected. The FreeBSD
router sends a redirect to the server as expected. The server installs
the route in the routing table as expected. But the server still sends
packets destined to the host (behind the Cisco) to it's default
gateway. I checked the arp tables when this occurs, and noticed that
there is no arp entry for the Cisco. If I ping the Cisco to establish
an arp entry, the problem goes away and packets are correctly
sent to the Cisco. I also noticed the problem occurs when running
a routing protocol such as OSPF or RIP that uses multicast. I've
had to setup a cron job that periodically pings the Cisco to work
around it.

Any thoughts?

-

Barrett