Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 02:06:06 -0500
From:      Hank Leininger <freebsd-security@progressive-comp.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's vunerable?

On 2001-03-16, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> Always be careful trusting the results of automated scanners, because
> they can never contain a database of ALL known vulnerabilities, so
> your system may have other problems than what's noted there.  It may
> be useful as a backup to make sure you haven't missed anything,
> though.

[ I know Kris knows this, just pointing it out... ]

s/known//;

In particular, as other people have pointed out, if you have any reason to
think a box *might* have been compromised, it's not worth your time (if
your goal is to get on with life) to do anything but assume it *has* been
compromised, and start over.  There are too many creative ways that an
attacker could have trojan'ed the box once they had free reign for you to
ever[*] be sure you've been thorough enough in checking the box out.  Once
a box falls out of a known-good state, it can't really be put back without
starting over, or taking a big chance...

[*] A thorough forensic analysis could tell you that the box definitely has
been, or probably has not been, compromised.  The level of certainty that
it hasn't been that you can achieve is directly proportional to how much
time (or money) you have to spend on the investigation.  Sounds like you
have little of either, and don't feel like becoming a forensic expert for
the hell of it, so I'd suggest not trying to "prove" to yourself or anyone
else that the box(es) are safe, and just replace them/do the rolling
rebuilds as have been suggested here.  Don't forget to take advantage of
this opportunity to remind management how much time and money, in the long
run, a proactive approach can save. :-P

--
Hank Leininger <hlein@progressive-comp.com>
I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit.  Only way to be sure.