Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:36:36 +0000 (WET)
From:      freebsd@bug.fe.up.pt
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Staying -STABLE with make world

As the subject says I am trying to track -STABLE but I've some
questions about the most efective method to do it. So where are
my questions:

I've installed the 2.2.2 sources from CD on a spare partition
named /stable then I CVSup'ed the RELENG_2_2 branch and it
merged with the 2.2.2 sources resulting in the 2.2.6-STABLE
sources. I've also made a symlink from /usr/src to /stable/src.

1. Should I update the sources every night and in the morning
   check the logs and remake the changed programs? Or,
   should I upgrade the sources once in a while and do a full
   make world?
2. If I customize any file in the tree that will be updated
   by CVSup what will happen if that file must be changed by
   the cvsup program? Can it merge the new version with the
   one I've changed? If not what will happen? Or do I need
   to keep an unmodified version of -STABLE and copy all the
   tree to change my files and compile from this new modified
   tree? (I need to add support for my parallel zip drive)

If anyone has any ideas about this method or wants to tell me
how you do it please fell free (and I'll be grateful) to email
me privately and I'll make a digest of the answers and will
post it to this list.

The machine I am talking about is a shell server so if anyone
from best.com is listening (Matt Dillon?) I'd like to know how
they do it.

Thanks,
			Jorge