Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:57:00 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@citusc.usc.edu>, audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mktemp() patch, again

In message <27868.973935033@axl.fw.uunet.co.za> Sheldon Hearn writes:
: > I used to accept the idea of using varying case to increase the randomness
: > space.  In light of Mac OS X's case-preserving but case-insensitive file
: > system, I think it would be wiser not to rely on case-independence.
:
: I don't think that POSIX.1 specifies any knob that indicates case
: sensitivity in the filesystem, but it'd probably be okay for BSD code to
: rely on some BSD conditional.  That would make it easy for the Darwin
: folks (and others) to control the behaviour.

Actually I think that it is ok to use the larger random space.  Since
we still to collision detection, it will still be safe.

Warner