Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:47:22 -0500
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix install on 4.9

Wolfgang,

> First, I installed djbdns and qmail, and now, I would like to install
> postfix but it doesn't compile.

You are aware that Qmail and Postfix both provide the same mail functions,
right? While it's possible to use parts of one with the other, it's
normally a choice between one or the other.

Of course trying both and choosing the one which suits your needs and
preferences is the best answer to the question of which is "best".

> "[$i]"; cd $i; make 'CC=cc -DUSE_SASL_AUTH -I/usr/local/include
> /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lkrb

The build is looking for Kerberos libraries and not finding them.

What's not so obvious is that it's looking for Kerberos because of SASL.
If you're not going to use SASL, then don't choose it in the menu you get
when you build Postfix; similarly with the other options.

If you do want SASL and you do want your SASL to use Kerberos, then you
need to set SASLKRB in your POSTFIX_OPTIONS. If you want SASL but nor
Kerberos, then you'll probably need to define WITHOUT_GSSAPI in your
cyrus-sasl2 build.

The postfix port is a little unusual in that instead of a series of
WITH_FOO variables to select optional components, the variable
POSTFIX_OPTIONS contains that list. See the file scripts/configure.postfix
in the port. You can make your POSTFIX_OPTIONS permanent by putting it in
make.conf, or better in pkgtools.conf for portupgrade, eg.

----8<----
  MAKE_ARGS = {
     'security/cyrus-sasl2' => '-DWITHOUT_GSSAPI -DWITH_DEV_URANDOM',
     'mail/postfix' => '-DBATCH POSTFIX_OPTIONS="SASL2"'
  }

This will (should) build cyrus-sasl2 without Kerberos, skip the menu by
setting "BATCH" and chooses to use Cyrus SASLv2 for postfix.

Please lose the footer when publishing to a public mailing list.

-Andrew-
| -Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines@halplant.com  |
| "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary |
|  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin, 1759 |