Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 17:07:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, sthaug@nethelp.no, jas@flyingfox.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which PCI Ethernet card is best for FreeBSD-current?

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > >However, currently ethernet interfaces that do not have carrier/link
> > >active, still show us UP.  I wish that loss of carrier/link would force
> > >the interface into a DOWN state automatically.  I realize this would
> > >require some driver changes.
> >
> > Well, go for it :-)
>
> Question: If I DOWN an interface, do that effect its own transmission
> of carrier/link?

  I think this is rather silly.  You can't even control this on most
cards.  They transmit carrrier from power-up till power-off.  I don't see
any sense in it all.

  A configured ethernet device should always be attempting to get link.
It would be nice if this link state was reflectetd in the interface state.

Tom