Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 19:34:45 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more strange problem with broken pipes and ssh

In message <5.0.2.1.0.20010305170015.03711010@marble.sentex.ca>, Mike
Tancsa wr
ites:
> At 07:24 AM 3/4/01 -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>
> >Back to the SSH topic at hand:  Kerberos is not a factor in OpenSSH on
> >the systems I tested.
>

> Are you logged in on the physical console ?  If so, the behaviour does not
> manifest itself from here.  Try ssh localhost, and see if you can see the
> behaviour ?

My tests were performed using Xterm sessions running on my P120 system
that were displayed back to my 486DX33 X terminal system.  The system I
had logged into to perform my tests was my desktop system at work, a
PII/333.  All systems are running -STABLE CVSupped as of Mar 2 @ 0715
PST.  I had performed my tests using sh, tcsh (FreeBSD's csh), and bash
by changing my shell in the password file.

I had also performed the same test using a an Xterm session running on
the 486DX33 displayed to the 486DX33, an ssh session invoked from the
486DX/33 to the P120 using the bash shell.  Still no failure.
Consistent so far.

I've run:

- ls | more
- man <some command> which pipes to more
- nmh show command which pipes to more
- cat <some large file> | more

Ssh localhost also works without flaw.

Maybe I'm just lucky.  I should have asked my wife to get lottery
tickets when she went out.  :)

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC