Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 10:48:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        lenzi@bsi.com.br (Lenzi Admin)
Cc:        archangl@primenet.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows NT & FreeBSD

In a previous message, Lenzi Admin said:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Kevin Lane wrote:
>
> > I was looking through the web site here as I'm considering installing
> > FreeBSD onto my system. I was hoping to run it as well as Windows NT 4.0
> > on different partitions of the same drive. However, I'm interested in
> > knowing whether or not it will add FreeBSD to the start menu of NT's
> > bootup sequence. If it doesn't do it automatically, is there a way to do
> > this? I apologize if this is explained during the installation, but I
> > didn't see any references to NT specifically.. and as it has a different
> > file system than MS-Dos, I do not want to create any conflicts. Thank
> > you.
>

> Ok. First boot from a dos diskette (version 6.2) for example.
> at the prompt, type fdisk /mbr
> this should write a boot sector on the disk without the NT selection.
>
> after that run the bootinst from the FreeBSD/tools (cd).
>
> On boot, the machine should ask: NT, DOS, FreeBSD...

I think he wants to use the NT boot loader.

There are 2 ways.

The first is outlined in the FAQ, section 6.8.
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ85.html

The second is to use a utility on the Walnut Creek NT CD. Unfortunately,
mine seems to have grown legs. :-(. You can find it somewhere on the
ftp.cdrom.com. Probably, pub/windows/utility/misc/bootpa20.zip

Paul.

--
"My doctor told me that jogging could add years to my life. I think he
 was right. I feel 10 years older already."  --Milton Berle, comedian