Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:14:06 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can X work with Intel i815 under FBSD 4.4?

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 07:49:38PM +0100, Mats Dufberg wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Mats Dufberg wrote:
>
> > Can anyone report a working configuration of FreeBSD and XFree86 4.1.0 on
> > a Intel 82815 (i815 GMCH) SVGA controller?
>
> In spite of help from several people all failed. I've tried working
> XF86Config files (thanks to those who sent me files), and I tried to
> reinstall XFree86 4, but no success.

	Regarding this i815, at least for me, I am referring to
	the Intel mainboard with the i815 AGPset chipset.  This
	graphics sucks up your SDRAM for its video memory.  The
	board also includes a builtin audio chip.  Given the 700/750Mhz
	processor, the audio+video have to be cheaply engineered...but
	X does work with Xfree 4.1.N.

> I have now added an old graphics card and reinstalled 3.3.6, and now X is
> up and running. Some day I will try again...

	Sounds like the way to go :-)

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix