Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 95 10:17:48 -0700
From:      wjs@pp.pdx.edu (Bill Spurling)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        dbg@pp.pdx.edu, meb@pp.pdx.edu
Subject:   Adaptec PCI Disk Controller

I am trying to install FreeBSD ver 2.0 onto my system and it appears
(to me at least) that it does not recognize my SCSI controller.

Is this true and are there any fixes or workarounds available.
Is there a better hardware choice I should make at this point?

The particulars:
Pentium 90 with 16Mb.
Seagate ST31230N 1 gigabyte drive.
Adaptec AHA-2940/AHA2940W PCI controller.
Award BIOS ver 4.5GP.
FreeBSD ver 2.0 dated Jan 95 from Walnut Creek CD-ROM.

I have tried this with:
 1) no partitions defined thru DOS on the disk,
 2) non-bootable DOS partiton (20 MB) on the disk
 3) bootable (20MB) partition on the disk.
All the above done via DOS 6.22 fdisk.

When I boot from the FreeBSD boot floppy, the last few entries scrolling
by on the screen before it loads the menu driven installation stuff all
have "[not supported]" at the end of the line.  These entries are the
ones concerning the PCI devices.
When the installation menu comes up and I choose 6 Install, it places me
in the Diskspace editor screen (as I believe it should.)
At that point, it does not show any information about the drive.
Typing F<CR> has no effect.
Disklabel asks for the drive.  When I enter "0" it leaves me at the
Diskspace editor screen.

I do not see the Adaptec 2940 controller listed with the supported
configurations under disk controllers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill Spurling, Facilities dept, Portland State University
wjs@pp.pdx.edu