Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:46:14 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        vadim@tversu.ac.ru (Vadim Kolontsov)
Subject:   Re: /etc/init.d/

As Vadim Kolontsov wrote:

>   how about implementing /etc/init.d/ .. /etc/rc0.d etc Solaris-like
> scheme in FreeBSD? I think it will be useful. And I am ready to do it.

The usefulness of the SysV run-level scenario is among the points that
usually causes the most contradictionary discussions on these lists.
A number of people find them useful, and another number of people (at
least as large as the first group) think they are a totally crappy
idea from the beginning.  I don't really belong to either group
myself, but the number of disagreeing, different, and inconsistent
SysV versions probably made me lean toward the second group in the end
as well.

Sorry, i can't tell you for sure whether the real&true multi-user
level on your version of SysV is level 2, 3, or 4.  You gotta find out
yourself. :-)  Also, i have yet to see one SysV implementation that
gets all the state transitions right.  It's probably impossible to do,
i've seen many implementations that call startup scripts when going
down from level 3 to 1, or that call stop scripts when going up from
level S to 1.  This is probably enough proof of misconcept. ;-)

Well, seriously, we've got a good number of rc.something scripts
already done.  It seems David Nugent is finally committing the idea of
a shutdown mechanism built into init(8), something that was still
missing badly by now.  After this has been done, and leaving out the
naming differences, also considering that our ports already install
initialization scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/, the only remaining
difference between the BSD and the SysV approach (as it is actually
used by the various SysV incarnations) is that BSD only knows about
single-user vs. multi-user run-levels, while SysV often provides a
crippled multi-user level without networking.  Now, think about when
you've actually been using this level at all, ever, on your SysVs...
and it will become very apparent that it _seems_ to be a nice feature,
but is _actually_ a totally unused misfeature.

--
cheers, J"org