Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:23:19 -0800
From:      Rudy <rrucker@macromedia.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   time estimates for 3.2 -> 3.3 upgrade

Hello, freebsd-isp'ers.  I run a small ISP on freebsd.  I've just got another box (k6-2 400 Mhz/128 Mb Ram) and installed 3.2, now I am upgrading to 3.3.  Nowhere in the documentation are there time estimates for an upgrade or each step.  To totally rebuild a system with a custom kernal, I completed the following steps in a little over 2 hours:

# cd /usr/src
# cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile .
# vi stable-supfile (set the cvsup host and commented out 'src-kerberosIV')
# cvsup stable-supfile
30 minutes (depends on your connection ~ mine is a 768/384 DSL)
# make world
1.6 hours
# rm -rf /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNAL
# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
# config MYKERNEL
1 second
# cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
# make depend
24 seconds
# make
172 seconds
# make install
1 second
# reboot
72 seconds

My upgrade was a total success!  When I started this email, I'd only done the cvsup step, but now I am running FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE!

Rudy