Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2003 17:10:38 +0200
From:      "Nils Holland" <nils@thunderbridge.de>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS Question (quite a bit OT)

Hi folks,

the following has pretty little to do with FreeBSD, but I know
that some really great people who have a clue about almost
everything hang around here, and so I thought I'd ask.

Well, I'm in the process of changing the nameservers for my
domain thunderbridge.de. However, the German domain registry
(DeNic) seems to have some strict requirements in that area, and
so they are refusing me with the below error report:

> The domain thunderbridge.de has NOT been updated. The following
errors were
> detected:
> == SERVER ns1.loadbalanced.net. = ns1.loadbalanced.net.: SOA
> value retry (900) does not fit in range [1800 ... 28800].
> ns1.loadbalanced.net.: SOA value refresh (1800) does not fit in
range
> [10000 ... 86400].
> == END =
> == SERVER ns2.loadbalanced.net. =
> ns2.loadbalanced.net.: SOA value retry (900) does not fit in
range [1800
> ... 28800]. ns2.loadbalanced.net.: SOA value refresh (1800)
does not fit
> in range [10000 ... 86400].
> == END =

Now comes the thing I don't understand: My provider says that
they above complaint is about the retry / refresh values for the
zone to which the nameservers belong (loadbalanced.net). But when
I look that up...:

|angel@gaffa> nslookup - ns1.loadbalanced.net
|Default Server: ns1.loadbalanced.net
|Address: 66.119.216.7
|
|> set type=soa
|> loadbalanced.net
|Server: ns1.loadbalanced.net
|Address: 66.119.216.7
|
|loadbalanced.net
|    origin = ns1.loadbalanced.net
|    mail addr = postmaster.loadbalanced.net
|    serial = 2003072200
|    refresh = 16384 (4h33m4s)
|    retry  = 2048 (34m8s)
|    expire = 604800 (1W)
|    minimum ttl = 1800 (30M)
|loadbalanced.net    nameserver = ns1.loadbalanced.net
|loadbalanced.net    nameserver = ns2.loadbalanced.net
|ns1.loadbalanced.net  internet address = 66.119.216.7
|ns2.loadbalanced.net  internet address = 65.39.221.8

...it seems that their retry and refresh values are within the
range that DeNIC wants. So I believ that they want to have the
retry / refresh in range for the domain to be changed
(thunderbridge.de), which is currently obviously not the case on
the new nameservers:

|> thunderbridge.de
|Server: ns1.loadbalanced.net
|Address: 66.119.216.7
|
|thunderbridge.de
|    origin = ns1.loadbalanced.net
|    mail addr = postmaster.thunderbridge.de
|    serial = 2003072201
|    refresh = 1800 (30M)
|    retry  = 900 (15M)
|    expire = 604800 (1W)
|    minimum ttl = 1800 (30M)
|thunderbridge.de    nameserver = ns1.loadbalanced.net
|thunderbridge.de    nameserver = ns2.loadbalanced.net
|ns1.loadbalanced.net  internet address = 66.119.216.7
|ns2.loadbalanced.net  internet address = 65.39.221.8

So, does anybody have a clue who's right here? Is DeNIC giving me
errors because of the loadbalanced.net zone (as my provider
believes) or because of the thunderbridge.de zone (as I believe)?
And besides: Does anyone have a clue why the DeNIC has these
requirements concerning refresh / retry? Nobody bothered when I
moved an .org domain to exactly the same nameservers that DeNIC
doesn't want to let me move my .de domain to...

Bye,
Nils