Date:      Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:31:07 GMT
From:      Serg45 <ss45@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/83735: network card (realtek 8139) and sound card (CMI8738) share irq 5. realtek does not work

>Number:         83735
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       network card (realtek 8139) and sound card (CMI8738) share irq 5. realtek does not work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD tryout.blspb.com 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Wed Jun  1 17:02:41 MSD 2005     root@tryout:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TRYOUT  i386

Computer (EliteGroup i-Buddie, Transmeta Crusoe 5600, ALI chipset) works fine with Windows, Linux, OpenBSD. FreeBSD (any revision) can not initialize network card (Realtek 8139). It shares IRQ 5 with sound card (it is not possible to change IRQ in BIOS or turn off sound completely as there are no such BIOS options at all).
dmesg shows something like (I am not at that machine now):

realtek rtl8139 unknown device id: ffffff
device attach returned 6

I tried to recompile kernel without rl and re drivers and load them as modules, not to load sound module (snd_t4dwave.ko), disable ACPI in menu, in loader.conf, in device.hints. Result is always the same - no network...
>How-To-Repeat:
Try set the same IRQ for network card and sound card on motherboard with ALI chipset.
>Fix:
Not known yet