Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2006 13:12:19 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, BjXrn KXnig <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [patch] environment variable EDITOR is set wrong in fixit mode

On Saturday 15 April 2006 03:18, BjXrn KXnig wrote:
>=20
> >Submitter-Id:	current-users
> >Originator:	Bj=F6rn K=F6nig
> >Organization:=09
> >Confidential:	no=20
> >Synopsis:	[patch] environment variable EDITOR is set wrong in fixit mode
> >Severity:	non-critical
> >Priority:	medium
> >Category:	misc
> >Class:		change-request
> >Release:	FreeBSD 6.1-RC i386
> >Environment:
> System: FreeBSD hoppel.local 6.1-RC FreeBSD 6.1-RC #0: Fri Apr 14 20:32:0=
6 CEST 2006 bkoenig@hoppel.local:/home/bkoenig/obj/home/bkoenig/devel/freeb=
sd/RELENG_6_1/src/sys/HOPPEL i386
> 	If you start the fixit mode of disc1 then the
> 	environment variable EDITOR is set wrong. Its
> 	value is /mnt2/stand/vi, but vi doesn't exist
> 	at this place.
>=20
> 	This concerns the variable PAGER likewise.
> =09
> >How-To-Repeat:
> 	Go to fixit mode:
>=20
> 	Fixit# $EDITOR
> 	/mnt2/stand/vi: not found
>=20
> >Fix:
> 	There are at least two possible solutions.
>=20
> 	First of all /mnt2/stand is a symlink to /rescue,
> 	but /rescue doesn't exist. It migth be better to
> 	create a symlink to "rescue" instead of "/rescue".
> 	In this case /mnt2/stand would be a symlink to
> 	"rescue", i.e. /mnt2/rescue becomes the real path.
> 	EDITOR don't need to be changed and vi works. PAGER
> 	still doesn't work, because more doesn't exist
> 	in rescue.
>=20
> 	A second approach would be to simply change EDITOR to
> 	/mnt2/usr/bin/vi resp. PAGER to /mnt/usr/bin/more.
>=20
> 	These two patches deals with the issue. You may
> 	apply both patches.

I think the first patch is better and EDITOR should be
unchanged.  Perhaps the PAGER should be set only if
/mnt2/usr/bin/more exists?  If you use the fixit floppy
instead of the CD I think it won't exist.

=2D-=20
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =3D  http://www.FreeBSD.org