Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 23:26:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        jhb@osd.bsdi.com, alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ithreads on UP1000

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> John Baldwin writes:
>  >
>  > On 25-Sep-00 Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>  > >
>  > > (apol;ogies if you get 2 copies of this, mail @ Freebsd is pretty flaky
>  > > for me right now)
>  > >
>  > > John,
>  > >
>  > > I just tried your latest patchset on an API UP1000.
>  > > (MD5 (alpha.ithreads.patch) = 11d809b59741189c7261be15166e2519)
>  >
>  > Try it without static hints.  Some people have been having problems with
>  > static hints.  Also, if dynamic hints works ok for you, please do an
>  > nm of your kernel and see where the hints_loaded variable shows up in the
>  > list.  Esp. in relation to sched_lock and Giant in the BSS.  It seems that
>  > we may have a bug in the mutex code that trashes the memory just before
>  > a mutex. :-/  It's been reported on the x86, and the mutex code is almost
>  > identical in the two platforms.
>
> It seems we have a similar, but slightly different problem.
>
> If I use your ithreads patch and a stock GENERIC config file, I boot
> past the copyright and the machine hangs mounting root (the scsi bus
> probes come back showing da0, though).  This is progress ;)
>
> Howver, If I use any GENERIC kernel config plus
>
> +options              DIAGNOSTIC
> +options              INVARIANTS
> +options              INVARIANT_SUPPORT
>
> The box locks after the copyright is printed.  Eg, it locks with or
> without your ithreads patch.
>
> I can duplicate this on an AS500 5/266 which actually has a halt
> button.   However, it doesn't seem to help as the box is locked so
> solidly that it ignores the halt button.
>
> Am I the only one seeing this?  I'm using a fairly old loader (Tue Aug
> 29 11:44:06 EDT 2000) on the UP1000 and a truly ancient netboot loader
> on the AS500 (Sat Oct 16 11:02:54 EDT 1999). For the netboot, I've
> been seting the clock and sio0 hints manually..
>
> Since we show every sign of falling off the edge of the universe after
> returning from the first sysinit (announce), I thought we might be
> running out of space on the bootstrap stack and I tried doubling the
> size of the bootstrap stack in alpha_init(), but it didn't seem to
> help.

We are running securely on proc0's stack before the first sysinit happens
(i.e. alpha_init() has returned and we have switched to proc0's context).

> Are others seeing this, or am I going crazy?

I haven't seen this but I haven't tried exactly this configuration
yet. I'll try to reproduce it.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160