Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 23:51:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan)
Cc:        shovey@buffnet.net, robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC 1323 default settings (was Re: progress report on connection problems)

> Since RFC 1323 deals with long fat pipes, which very few of us have, it
> would make sense to turn the extensions off in the shipped /etc/sysconfig.

agreed, although it is sad that such an approach practically bans
any TCP extension because some broken equipment won't support it.

> Those people who are communicating with TCP between the two ends of a 1.5
> Mbps satellite link, or an intercontinental 45 Mbps link, probably know
> who they are and can turn the extensions on.  I know that some people in

not that it helps much since in many cases the application have
hardwired settings for small (<64K) windows. As a matter of fact,
has anyone been able to _actually_ make use of >64K windows (i.e.
withouth the system changing settings under your feet) ? If yes,
which version of FreeBSD ?

> 'fatness' of the pipe for RFC 1323 purposes.  Local area ATM might be
> 'fat' but generally is not 'long' enough to cause the problems with RFC

fast ethernet also peaks around 10 KB/ms, which means that going
through a couple of (fast) local routers (not switches) might as
well bring you close to BW*RTT > 64K

	Luigi