Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 17:58:53 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Erwan Breton <breton@cri.ensmp.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel log messages

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 12:14:42PM +0100, Erwan Breton wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
>   Since i have activate the firewall on my Box, I have many kernel log=20
> messages in my security check output every night. the problem is, idon't =
see=20
> anymore interessant messages like bad login.
>=20
> athena kernel log messages:
[snip ipfw log messages]
>=20
> main# uname -a
> FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #10: Thu Nov 28 19:00:13 CET 2002
> I just active firewall (i think :o) )
>=20
> If u need more conf (like syslog.conf) tell it.
>=20
> Thanks for ideas and answers.

What exactly is the problem: that those messages are hiding the rest of
the information in your logfiles?  You can easily turn ipfw logging off:
it is currently logging verbosely because of one of two reasons - either
you have an 'option IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE' in your kernel config file, or
you have 'firewall_logging=3D"yes"' in your /etc/rc.conf file.

To turn ipfw logging off, either remove the firewall_logging=3D"yes" line
from /etc/rc.conf, or add a net.inet.ip.fw.verbose=3D0 line to
/etc/sysctl.conf.  Both of these will take effect upon your next reboot,
when the startup scripts reread the configuration; if you want to turn
off the verbose ipfw logging right now, issue the following command:

	sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.verbose=3D0

Of course, neither of these will help if you have explicitly requested
logging in one of your firewall rules: examine your firewall
configuration and see if any of the rules has the 'log' keyword.

All this said, there is another option for having your cake and eating
it, too: instructing syslog.conf to send ipfw log messages to another
location.  According to the ipfw manual page, the 'log' keyword causes
ipfw to send kernel.security syslog messages; you could redirect those
to a separate file, so that they do not interfere with your normal
logging.

Hope this helps :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--