Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 19:57:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      drew@drewsun.feith.com (Andrew B. Sudell)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Loading from Exebyte 8205

I have been trying to load the June 22 SNAP from a Exebyte 8205 tape
and having no luck.  The system boots ok and recognizes the scsi bus
(a NCR 810) and sees all the devices.  After loading the ncr0 driver,
it does a reset and "waits for the bus to settle".  The tape resets
and spends a fair amount of time (typical for a 8205) retensioning the
tape.  [I have been trying this mostly with the tape in before booting.]
The install program claims that there is no tape.  Upon exiting the
install, I see the following on the screen.

st0(ncr0:2,0): NOT READY asy:4,1
st0(ncr0:2,0): Logical unit is in the process of becoming ready

Booting without the tape, also fails, though then the "not ready"
is "media not present, not ready"

I suspect some silly timing issue, but frankly am stumped.

Any ideas?
--
  Andrew B. Sudell                         drew@feith.com
  Feith Systems and Software, Inc.         attmail!feith1!drew

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.  Specialization
is for insects.            -- Robert A. Heinlein