Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2014 18:52:47 +0000
From:      David Collins <davidcollins001@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg not working with radeon on 10 stable

On 30 Dec 2013 01:18, "David Collins" <davidcollins001@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I did a similar upgrade recently also.
> >
> >> I have a Radeon HD 2400 PRO/XT, which supported from whats in the log
> >> file.  The user is as member of the dri group. I load the radeonkms
> >> kernel module on boot.
> >

> > That is not necessary, and causes problems for some.
>
> Noted, will remove.

Removed, and the modules get loaded automatically.

> >> When try to start X (same xorg.conf file that
> >> worked previously or with newly created xorg.conf) the xserver gives
> >> me a black screen which I can't do anything with, I am also unable to
> >> switch virtual terminals.
> >

> > This is a known problem with the KMS drivers.  The new console drivers
fix this, hopefully to be MFCed soon after 10.0-RELEASE.

> Brilliant, I look forward to this
>
> >> I can ssh in to get access. My make.conf, xorg.conf and Xorg log file
are below but the bits that look suspect are:

> >> [   127.760] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
> >> [   128.363] (EE) AIGLX error: r600 does not export required DRI
extension

> >> I have found a number of reports of this with linux but no solutions
> >> that I have been able to use. Does anyone have any idea how to solve
> >> this?
> >

> > Use the ati or radeon driver, not radeonhd, which is obsolete.
>
> I tried the ati driver (with updated xorg.conf) from ports but i don't
think it worked either. I won't have access to my computer for a couple
days but when I do I will try again.

I replaced radeonhd with radeon in xorg.conf. I didn't realise this driver
was provided the ati port. Everything is working perfectly now, Thanks.

David