Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 1995 19:39:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

> > Microsoft has switched to using so called DMF format
> > (Distribution Media Format - 1,716,224 bytes 1.63 MB) on
> > diskettes for the WIN95 distrubution disks.
>
> This is very interesting.  If it works for them, we can do that too.
> The changes to the floppy-build procedure is rather few, but I still
> suggest we hang in there until we hear how much trouble MS has with it...

And they *have* trouble. Microsoft Direct in Germany has established
a hotline for sending in 'unreadable diskettes'.

They ship their 15 diskette Win95 full version set with the first two
diskettes in 1.44 MB format and the famous 'Diskette 2' (numbered 3 :-o)
and the rest in 1.63 MB (1,716 Mio bytes) diskettes.

They blame it on virii on customers machines when their diskettes
become unreadable (so written in a note in the CI$ Win95 Setup
conference). A not yet known virus not being recognized by
todays common virus scanners. I wonder whether their next
product will be the 'ultimate virus scanner' ;-)