Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2017 21:27:59 +0200
From:      Bernard Spil <brnrd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rafael Henrique da Silva Faria <rafaelhfaria@fclar.unesp.br>
Cc:        hrs@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LibreSSL + Heimdal Problem

On 2017-04-13 13:43, Rafael Henrique da Silva Faria wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm trying to compile Heimdal with LibreSSL on a server,
> but there is a odd problem.
>
> Actually, I'm updating a working server, updated the LibreSSL version,
> and tried to recompile all dependent ports with "portmaster -fr
> libressl", but it stops on Heimdal.
>
> The make stops on this linking:
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libcrypto.so.38, needed by
> /usr/local/lib/heimdal/libhcrypto.so.4, not found (try using -rpath or
> -rpath-link)
>
> But when the make checks the depends, it looks for an other lib:
> ===>   heimdal-7.1.0_2 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.41
> - found
>
> root@cenpe heimdal # pkg which /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.41
> /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.41 was installed by package libressl-2.5.3
> root@cenpe heimdal # pkg which /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.38
> /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.38 was not found in the database
> root@cenpe heimdal # pkg info | grep heimdal
> heimdal-7.1.0_2                Popular BSD-licensed implementation of
> Kerberos 5
> root@cenpe heimdal # /usr/local/bin/openssl version
> LibreSSL 2.5.3
>
> There is anything that I need to do to change the lib that Heimdal is
> looking for? I already have tried to recompile all ports (portmaster
> -fa), but it always stops on Heimdal.
>
> I don't know if the problem is with Heimdal or LibreSSL, because I
> can't recompile OpenSSH-Portable on this machine too.
> It stops on configure:
>
> checking OpenSSL header version... not found
> configure: error: OpenSSL version header not found.
>
> All started after updating LibreSSL to the latest version.
>
> root@cenpe openssh-portable # freebsd-version -ku
> 11.0-RELEASE-p8
> 11.0-RELEASE-p8
> root@cenpe openssh-portable # uname -a
> FreeBSD cenpe.fclar.unesp.br 11.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p2
> #0: Mon Oct 24 06:55:27 UTC 2016
> root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> Please, let me know if I need to give some more information.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Rafael Henrique da Silva Faria

Hi Rafael,

Sounds to me like portmaster isn't processing dependencies correctly
here. The installed heimdal still depends on the old libcrypto whilst
you have the new one on your system.
Does it fail during build of a spcific port? You may want to first
rebuild heimdal before other ports. pkg delete -f heimdal first, then
build/install it again.

If you still have the old package you could extract the old libs from
libressl 2.4 and put them in /usr/local/lib temporarily. Sometimes you
can also circumvent the issue by symlinking libcrypto.so.38 to
libcrypto.so.41 but that is real hackish.

Cheers,

Bernard.