Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2017 14:47:42 -0500
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        perl@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Setting perl default version

Hello!

I added the perl5-entry to my DEFAULT_VERSIONS and attempted to build
lang/perl5.26. It kept yelling at me, that my default versions is not
set right, which is demonstrably false:

    # make -C /usr/ports/lang/perl5.26 -V DEFAULT_VERSIONS
    gcc=5 ruby=2.4 perl=5.26

Despite the above setting, the PERL5_DEFAULT gets set to 2.4:

    # make -C /usr/ports/lang/perl5.26 -V PERL5_DEFAULT
    5.24

The only way to force it is by setting the PERL5_DEFAULT explicitly.
This elicits more reprimand, but the build proceeds:

    # make PERL5_DEFAULT=5.26 install
    /!\ WARNING /!\

    The variable PERL5_DEFAULT is set and it should only be defined through
    DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=perl5=5.26 in /etc/make.conf

    This behaviour has never been supported and will be removed on
    2017-01-31

It looks like 2.4 is set as the default version, when the
${LOCALBASE}/bin/perl does not exist. Has anyone tested the logic
without /any/ perl installed on the system?

Please, advise. Thank you!

    -mi