Date:      Thu, 9 Feb 1995 19:53:28 +1596657 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org, vak@cronyx.msk.su
Subject:   Re: Using seagate driver with Future Domain 950: :-(

> > something like: invalid phase CMD out (gets out of view very fast)
> > 	<inquiry values of the disk, but the values are wrong>
>
> Well, at least now we can finally say that somebody tested it! :-)

OOPS. I seem to have ignited a major discussion..

My plans to test it where present for quite some time. But because I
loaned my ESDI controller to someone, switched jobs etc it took WAY to
much time to actually do it.

> Hurrah!  The day is saved.  But that's only the beginning.  Then you
> get an UPDATE to this driver and you think "Great, still don't have
> this hardware to test with but the author says it's better,
> so... *sigh*" Except maybe this time things break, and yet you still
> don't know who out there actually HAS one of these things, and so it's
> untested and doesn't get found out until 2 days before your release is
> due to ship!  :-)

Beware, I also have a FD 841 lying around. No docs and no status whether
it works at all (hardware wise). It might be interesting to note that a
previous patched seagate driver (rel to 1.1.5 I think) produced by
Steve Gerakines (insert ??? here) worked OK. I once installed 1.1 from
CDROM using a patched bootflop.

Wilko