Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 19:15:12 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
To:        Vadim Chekan <vadim@gc.lviv.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade from 3.3 to 4

Vadim Chekan wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm trying to update from 3.3-R to 4.0-current but without success.
> cc every time died on the same place.
> I upgraded via sources to 3.3-stable without any problem.
> When I try again cc died with message "Bad system call"
> I wrote in /etc/makefile.conf
> CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc295
> CXX=/usr/local/bin/g++295
> NOTOOLS=

Remove that, it would not work anyway!

> and now it can't locale libc.so.4 :(
>
> I took a look at maillist and found the same problem 2.2.x->3.0 upgrade.
> If I understood right it was because of a function moved from kernel to
> library.
>
> Is my problem known or I should post more logs?

As I'm understanding, currently upgrading process should be as following:

1) Build 4.0 /usr/sbin/config using installed 3.3 tools
2) Using this config configure and build 4.0 kernel using standard 3.3 tools
3) Reboot using 4.0 kernel (preferably to the single-user mode to avoid
possible ponflicts between 3.3 userland and 4.0 kernel).
4) Build and install everything (world)
5) Using mergemaster (which is in the 4.0 base tree now) update your
configuration files in /etc

-Maxim