Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 18:36:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org, hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: resume and TP560E

 * I heard that IBM's APM BIOS does not suspend entire system when the
 * network card (or modem card) is plugged into the system.

Ok, I read the manual.  (It's mostly about Windoze95 and OS/2 Crap, of
course.)  Here's what I gathered:

The ThinkPad 560E has three different types of suspend modes:
"standby", "suspend" and "hibernation".  "Standby" (Fn-F3) just turns
off the hard drive and LCD; "suspend" (Fn-F4) suspends all tasks and
keeps them in memory; "hibernation" (Fn-F12) saves the memory image to
disk and completely turns the power off.

The "hibernation" actually uses a disk file instead of some empty
space at the end of the drive.  You can create a "hibernation file" in
Win95.  It is just a regular (hidden) file.  (Which is good, because
it uses space in the Windoze partition. :)

Anyway, all three work with no errors if I don't have the Ethernet
card plugged in.  Fn-F12 even gives me this cute "progress meter" as
it writes to and reads from the disk.

With the Ethernet card, "Standby" and "suspend" still works without
errors.  "Hibernation" is just entirely disabled.

As for "zzz", it appears to work almost like the "suspend" function
(Fn-F4), except it gives me this "errcode=96".  The system wakes up
fine (well most of the time anyway), and it is not rattling the disks
in the process, so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Satoshi