Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 20:41:32 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux "best of breed?"

At 05:37 PM 11/5/98 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> Sorry to disturb you, but this is your wake-up call.
>
>Sean Connery has a great line in The Untouchables where he, riddled with
>gunfire and dying, grabs Kevin Costner by the shirt and demands "What
>are you prepared to DO?  WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO DO??"
>
>A lot more than be an alarm clock with an expensive college school
>education, one hopes?  A lot more than that is certainly needed, of
>course, and having an advocacy group which spends its days going
>"wail!  moan!  despair!" in a collective fashion also strikes me as a
>fine way of going under.  Any group of people engaged in such activity
>are not generally notable for actually being productive.
>
>More to the point, if we actually subjected all the messages posted to
>this mailing list over the last 6 months to even the most rudimentary
>statistical analysis, I'm highly confident that we'd find something
>like:
>
>	78%	General gnashing of teeth, rending of cloth
>	22%	Content actually dedicated to furthering advocacy
>
>and I'm probably being far too lenient with those figures, if
>anything.  The psych majors will probably tell us that numbers like
>these are a general indication of Some Sort of Group Dysfunction which
>Only Trained Sociologists Can Really Understand, but I say bah.  The
>numbers indicate to *me* that too many people have simply fallen in
>love with reporting on the game from the sidelines and have forgotten
>that they were supposed to be out on the field actually playing it.
>
>To put it another way, if people devoted themselves to the process of
>conducting their own advocacy efforts with the same energies I've seen
>them devote to freaking out about Linux's own efforts or screaming
>about falling chunks of sky, we'd have the BSD daemon on the cover of
>Time Magazine by now.
>
>- Jordan

And here I thought that this years Time Man of the Year was the BSD Daemon
itself...  Damn I lost the bet.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998