Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 12:40:25 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Hans de Hartog <j.dehartog@chello.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster problem and apache+ssl problem

Hans de Hartog wrote:

> I'm not a newbie but it's the first time I tried to keep stable by
> cvsup (today), make buildworld (no problems), make buildkernel (OK),
> reboot (yes, being a good boy I was single user), make installworld
> (Ok, but didn't read all the messages :-) and then mergemaster died with
>
> install -c -o root -g wheel -m 644 freebsd.cf
> /var/tmp/temproot/etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> install: freebsd.cf: No such file or directory
> *** Error 71

	That's very strange. Have you done something unusual related to
sendmail? Or perhaps have you set any make.conf variables related to
sendmail? Mergemaster uses the makefile in /usr/src/etc to build and
install it's files, so it should work 99.9% of the time.

> So I rebooted and was prepared to manually upgrade my whole /etc from
> /var/tmp/temproot/etc. Then I noticed that lots of other things where
> missing there that are in my original /etc (from the 4.2 RELEASE CD,
> everything dated november 20). My fault? Just curious.

	No, there are a lot of files that are installed during a standard
installation that aren't located in /usr/src. This may or may not be a
good thing, but in any case, it's not something to worry about. If there
are no copies in /var/tmp/temproot you don't have to worry about
updating them.

Good luck,

Doug