Date:      Thu, 6 May 2004 01:54:27 -0700
From:      Clint Olsen <clint@0lsen.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports gripe

On May 06, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Um, what "port interface"?

Portupgrade and friends.

> Using ports is documented in the Handbook (your canonical source of
> FreeBSD documentation):
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

Thanks for the links.  It doesn't really cover the fundamental issues -
explaining the relationship between a port, a package, when to use make or
when it's better to use port{install,upgrade} etc.  I have seen messages
saying that portupgrade is preferred for a particular port over 'make
install'.

Some of the confusion stems from the fact that there's portinstall but no
portdeinstall.  There's pkg_deinstall, though, which appears to be a
wrapper around pkg_delete.  Intuitively you'd expect the dual of each
command - or at least some explanation of why one exists and the other does
not.

In your original mail, you said I should have done "make all deinstall
reinstall".  However, the first question that came out of my mind was, what
exactly does the 'all' target do in this case, and are you referring to all
the ports or just this one port in particular?

Thanks,

-Clint