Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:01:05 -0800
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Jason Evans <jasone@freebsd.org>, Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KDE 3.5.0 seems much chubbier than 3.4.2

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 04:55, Jason Evans wrote:
>
>>On Jan 31, 2006, at 7:54 PM, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
>>
>>>Is there a simple way to revert to the old malloc? Just back out
>>>malloc.c?
>>
>>Yes, you can revert to revision 1.92 of src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c .
>
> I finally got around to trying this and it seems that reverting it has reduced
> KDE's memory consumption considerably..
>
> Perhaps it's allocation pattern is particularly pathological?
>
> I can supply debugging information about it if you tell me what you need.

First, can you please assure me that this is an increase in resident
memory, rather than just virtual memory?

Can you tell me which programs are particularly bad, and if you are
using them in any particular ways that are important to reproducing the
high memory usage?  I don't generally use KDE, so any details you
provide are likely to help.

Thanks,
Jason