Date:         Wed, 09 Apr 97 21:39 PDT
From:      Denis DeLaRoca                       <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@RAH.STAR-GATE.COM>
Cc:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAT release for FreeBSD

The WWW6 Conference this week in Santa Clara has been MBONE transmitting
on occassion with redundancy. I contacted again the RAT development
people to ask them about the promised FreeBSD version. They acknowledged
that it is in its infancy and using OSS for sound support... aim to have
almost identical versions for Linux and FreeBSD.

With RAT being locked into OSS, do we have to migrate the other audio
tools such as VAT to OSS as well? For the time being RAT is only re-
leased in binary form so there won't be much chance of rewriting its
sound driver interface.

Is OSS the best sound driver option for FreeBSD now?

-- Denis