Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:43:08 -0500
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
Subject:   Re: fam

Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>
>>Bruce A. Mah wrote:

>>>Well, I'm strongly influenced by my ex-RE-ness, but I'd think that the
>>>release notes would be one (but not the only) reasonable place to put
>>>this.  We already have a note for the 2.10 upgrade, and I think that it
>>>could use a little more explication vis a vis:
>>>
>>>1.  The gnome_upgrade.sh script no longer upgrades ports that GNOME
>>>depends on (but are not parts of GNOME itself).  Users may need to
>>>manually upgrade certain ports (for example, using portupgrade(1))
>>>before running the upgrade script to ensure that they are compatible
>>>with GNOME 2.10.  Specific examples are devel/libtool15 (1.5.10_1 or
>>>later required) and print/freetype2 (2.1.9 or later required).
>>
>>That is incorrect.
>

> That wasn't very helpful.  What part is incorrect?  I see a lot of
> messages on this list where users are saying "Arg!  My upgrade fell
> down!" and the reply is "upgrade freetype" or "upgrade libtool".  I just
> wanted to cut down on the cries for help, before people on this list
> have to deal with the inevitable cries for help after 5.4 is released.
>
> If you guys want to add it to the GNOME FAQ, that's fine, but right now
> there's no place in the documentation that mentions this problem.
>
> (And I know this has nothing to do with FAM.)

The upgrade script always updated the non-GNOME out-of-date ports. What
end up happening was that people who had never run 'pkgdb -F' in their
life were winding up with massive inconsistencies in the package
database, and portupgrade would fall over on itself. The upgrade script
now forcibly rebuilds the package database at the beginning.

A plethora of users were certainly experiencing that problem. But, with
version 2.10-3 of the gnome_upgrade.sh script (the one currently on the
website), that problem is resolved *nod*

Since that update, actually, bug reports have ceased. Which is neat.

>>>2.  GNOME includes support for the File Alteration Monitor (devel/fam)
>>>by default, in order to improve the GNOME desktop's ability to respond
>>>to files being added, deleted, or modified by other programs.  To take
>>>advantage of this functionality, FAM must be enabled in inetd.conf(5).
>>>More information can be found in ports/devel/fam/pkg-message.
>>
>>I have no problem with that message, but it's in no way new news.
>>Nautilus has had fam support since at least 2.0.
>

> OK, forget it then.

Given the message that said that KDE now supports fam as well, maybe an
entry WOULD be a good thing? Something somewhere that says "Hey, GNOME
and KDE users: enable FAM for a gooder desktop experience!"

I'm not familiar with the security implications of fam (it uses RPC, so
I assume it's got Issues[tm]) [and I think it was wpaul who told me
"GNOME users have a lot more than fam to worry about for security"], but
maybe we should make fam auto-enable itself, and make fam support the
default for the nautilus backend?

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger