Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 21:22:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        Dean <dean@thegrid.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warnings when root logs in to 2.2.2

Dean wrote:

> >> Once root or any defined user logs in the message "Warning: imported
> >> path contains relative components" appears.  This looks more ominus.
> >> Please help me determine what it's telling me and how I can fix it.
> >
> >This will typically happen when you su(1) to root and you have at least one
> >non-absolute directory value (e.g., ".") in your PATH.  It's generally
> >considered a dangerous thing to have "." in your PATH if you're logged in
> >as or su'd to "root".  (Some consider it dangerous even if you're not
> >"root".)  Remove any such components from your PATH before you "su" to get
> >rid of the complaint.
>
> I get the same problem, but I don't have any .'s in my path statement.  I'm
> looking in .login.  Is that the right place?

Assuming you're using `csh' or `tcsh', it's only one of the right places.
$HOME/.cshrc, $HOME/.tcshrc, /etc/csh.cshrc, and /etc/csh.login are all
other files read by `tcsh', for example.

The simplest way to tell is to look at the contents of $PATH before you
invoke `su'.  If there's a relative path in the $PATH setting, you'll get
the warning.
-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
Generosity and perfection are your everlasting goals.