Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 1995 17:35:52 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, rkw@dataplex.net
Subject:   Re: Which libraries?

>In trying to fix some problems in wu-ftpd, I ran into the fnmatch
>incompatabilities. They are straight-forward to fix. But in looking into
>them, I found that there are 4 different versions of fnmatch.c in the
>-current tree.

There are about 17 different versions of getopt.c :-(.

>Is there some reason that we are not using the libc version in each case?

It takes too long to decide if an imported utility depends on the possibly
nonstandard library sources that are distributed with the utility.  Gnu
getopt certainly has features that aren't standard are used by most gnu
utilites.

>And as for that, the version in libc is missing some of the options.
>Is there some reason that our libc is not the glibc?

glibc is copylefted.

Bruce