Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:19:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@quasar.uvt.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firmware updating problems

Gheorghe Ardelean writes:

 > Hello,
 >
 > I have (at our Univ) a DEC3000 Model400 and I'd like to install
 > FreeBSD on it.
 >
 > Just now I'm experincing problems with firmware upgrade.
 > There is no floppy drive on if so I managed to upgrade via BOOTP
 > from an PC running FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE

Be VERY VERY careful.  Upgrading past a certain revision of the
firmware without upgrading the SROM chip will make a 3000/400
unusable.  Unfortunately, its been years since I've dealt with
machines this old, so I don't know the firmware revisions off the top
of my head.  A www search will probably turn up something in the osf1
managers mailing lists about this.

Again, upgrading a 3000/400 to a modern firmware revisions (anything
in the last 4-5 years or so) should be undertaken with extreeme
caution.

 > 21:04:27.771579 jad2.uvt.ro.60581 > phys-ppp-gw.uvt.ro.tftp: 24 tftp-#0
 > [tos 0x1] (ttl 30, id 2447, bad cksum c976!)

Some revisions of the dec firmware generate bad checksums when
netbooting via bootp.  Mop might be an option..

Cheers,

Drew