Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:10:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Erik" <erikk@infowest.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/15029: XFree86 3.3.5 port is labeled as broken and so fails to build at all

The following reply was made to PR ports/15029; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Erik" <erikk@infowest.com>
To: Bill@infowest.com, Fumerol@infowest.com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:53:05 -0700 (MST)

 Bill Fumerol <billf@chc-chimes.com> said:
 >On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 erikk@infowest.com wrote:
 >
 >> I just barely installed 3.3-STABLE from the November 19th snapshot then yesterday (20th) CVSup'd STABLE and PORTS and succeeded in
 building world.  I did not install X since I decided to build it from the port.  When attempting to build from the
 /usr/ports/x11/XFree86/ directory, the port is labeled as BROKEN in the Makefile.  How can I install X as a port if the port is broken?
 Is there a fix coming?  Any ideas how soon?
 >> >How-To-Repeat:
 > Try installing X cleanly from the ports collection (as of Nov. 20th 1999) on any 3.3-STABLE box and it will fail because the Makefile
 says the port is broken.

 >Thank you for this insight into the ports system. If the port is marked
 >broken, one would assume there is a reason behind it.
 >
 >The port will have to be fixed to not think cpp is at /lib/cpp, fixed
 >to use -lcrypt appropriatly, fixed to actually _build_ X servers, fixed

 to not try and use its own getenv() and a couple of other things first.

 >Patches accepted.
 >
 >--
 >- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
 >- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -

 I understand there is a reason.  I'm just a bit puzzled by it.  I commented out
 the BROKEN line from the Makefile and it built cleanly and installed my preferred
 X server just fine and seems to work okay.  I assume there are some services
 that are affected by the getenv() problem and/or the -lcrypt problem but I must
 not be using them (I then built the KDE port and its working great on top of the
 "broken" X port).  So what's up?  Why cannot it NOT be labeled as broken in the
 meantime since it seems to work just fine for basic X workstation stuff?  Is there
 a mechanism for ports that would permit something like "WARNING: There are several
 problems with this port that have not yet been addressed including 1) <insert problem>
 2) .... N)  Do you wish to ATTEMPT to build this port ANYWAY? (y/N):" and let me
 as the port user decide if I'd like to chance it?

 Wondering,
 ERIK