Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:10:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        yossman@yoss.canweb.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secondary IDE?

Hi,

> we installed FreeBSD on the slave drive on the primary IDE channel on a
> machine we're working on.  the master on the primary IDE has w95 on it.
> we use the installation boot floppy to get a boot: prompt, then type
> 'wd(1,a)/kernel' to boot from the slave drive on the primary IDE channel.
> this works great.
>
> then, we moved the drive from slave on primary to master on
> secondary IDE.  the installation kernel sees the drive as 'wd2', but when
> i try 'wd2(0,a)/kernel' at the boot: prompt i get 'bad disklabel'.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this a typo? Should it read `wd(2,a)/kernel'?
And then you should enter `1:wd(2,a)/kernel' at the boot prompt to tell
                           ^
the bootcode to choose the second bios drive to boot the kernel from.

In which step of the booting sequence do you get the `bad disklabel'
message?

Which release of FreeBSD do you run?

> i've tried to go back into the installation to re-write the
> partitions/disklabels/bootmanager, but every time i try to commit my
> changes it asks me to select media, a distribution, and configure my
> stupid ethernet device.  i don't WANT to actually install anything, i just

Use `Custom' from the main menu of /stand/sysinstall and do
*not* try to install from the boot.flp but instead login as root
and type `/stand/sysinstall'. But I don't think you'll have to do
any customization from `/stand/sysinstall' to support moving the
disk from one IDE port to another.

> want to rewrite the disklabel and partition information back out to the
> drive.
>
> i note the (W)rite option was taken out of the partition and label
> screens.  was this because no one could get it working satisfactorily?

The (W)rite option shows up on my system and it probably works
well, but I didn't try it, because ones in a while I reboot it I
built a new kernel.

> i'd love any help -- the FreeBSD Handbook seems TOTALLY bare when i check
> for IDE configuration information.

Check `10.5 storage devices' in the handbook. You also might consult
the manual pages (man boot, man disklabel ...) and the FAQ (`2.18
how can I add my new hard disk to my FreeBSD system')

Hope this helps

Wolfgang