Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:34:52 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Dan Larsson <dl@tyfon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: howto tokenize string in sh

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 09:47:38AM +0100, Dan Larsson wrote:
| Having a string containing a path, what I need to do with it is to
| determine if it is relative to current or not.
| For this I imagine that splitting the path with the slashes as delimiters
| to examine the tokens in between for a token containing two dots (..) is
| one way of doing it.

sed(1) is your friend.  use something like:

	VARIABLE="`echo $DIRNAME | sed -e 's@/@ @g'`"

then you can always use

	set $VARIABLE

and use $1, $2 and so on for the parts of it, or something like:

	for component in $VARIABLE ;do
	    echo $component
	done

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]