Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 01:14:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   OPEN_MAX => which #define counts?

Hi, I was poking around /usr/src/sys wondering about OPEN_MAX ... I'm just
learning about file descriptors and such and I figured out that OPEN_MAX
determines the max num. of files a process can open.

My question is that which #define actually sets the limit:

./conf/options:OPEN_MAX opt_rlimit.h  ---> which contains nothing..
./i386/conf/LINT:options                OPEN_MAX=128
./sys/syslimits.h:#define       OPEN_MAX                   64

The other question I have is how OPEN_MAX relates to the max. number of
file secriptors the System can have open at a time.

TIA for any insight,
-Mark

| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| C-Soft  	        www.quickweb.com  |
"To iterate is human, to recurse divine."
		- L. Peter Deutsch