Date:      Tue, 07 Jul 1998 00:40:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Alan Sawyer <frooky@sx.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Ip aliasing with Freebsd.

Sorry Alan for the delay. Was kernel-hacking the last days.

On 01-Jul-98 Alan Sawyer wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Malte Lance wrote:
>> On 30-Jun-98 Alan Sawyer wrote:
>> > Hi, wondering if you can help me.
>> > What I would like to do is lets say I have 2 class C addresses on my LAN.
>> > I would like the BSD machine to have an address for each, and communicate
>> > to the hosts's on each class C via the ip of the respective hosts.
>> >
>> > Okay, setting up an interface
>> > ifconfig ep0 inet 203.19.222.6 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias
>>
>> ifconfig ep0 inet 203.19.222.6 netmask 255.255.255.0 alias
>>
>> Thats all. No "route add ..."
>> Maybe you want to enable forwarding in your "/etc/rc.conf" file.
>>

> Hi,pardon my lack of knowledge in this area but how do I do that?
> I cant find a mention of ip forwarding.

Forwarding is flag-set in /etc/rc.conf
Forwarding (as set in /etc/rc.conf) enables you do pass packets between
networks through your gateway (host).

> Anyhoo, any idea why when I put
> the above line in sendmail crashes

Which line ?
Btw none of the above lines is expected to be included in /etc/sendmail.cf

> and telnetting to the machine from any
> class C except for 203.36.8.0 (its 'first' ip) takes a longtime?

Try to describe your problem and your goal as simple as possible and
as detailed as needed.

> That is why I ended up aliasing all the other machines in the first place.
> Thanks again :() sorry to be a pain.

NP ... just need more info

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>