Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2012 18:28:25 +0100
From:      CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl>
To:        Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.1 minimal ram requirements

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs> wrote:
>> Seeing 9.1-RELEASE instead 9.1-PRERELASE
>> or 9.1-RC4 is also a bad suprise for me...
>
> I assume it does not look like release is the lack
> of packages. Simply, I installed and compiled from
> ports.

Making a Release is a well defined process as I read on
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/releng/release-proc.html and it
has its precisely defined meaning. If we loose that meaning the
process is irrelevant and so the word "RELEASE". Process stands for
quality I guess...

There are two extremely important sentences imo at the end of this document:

"FreeBSD releases must always be reproducible." - this way we get
system that behaves exactly the same after some time, this is very
important.

"Local hacks in the release engineer's environment are not
acceptable." - this is what happens now?

> Cannot say if it stands on the site as a
> decoration, but I have it on desktop and laptop
> and found it a serious piece of work.
> The point is that I had to install, since I had had
> two new computers waiting blank.

9.1-RC3 works just fine as well for some weeks :-) When your computers
are not production machines I also recommend this to you Zoran to test
RC in order to make RELEASE a better product. What you have now is
labeled as RELEASE but it is a decoration. The "RELEASE" will be
different from what you have found and installed (I think there are
already versions with different tags available). This is really the
thing that pushed me away from Linux :-(

> If no-one has any idea on the subject, I will just
> remove the line in kernel. Hopes are that old
> "make reinstallkernel KERNCONF..." still works.

Good luck :-) However if you simply want to diable that RAM consuming
function there is a switch that can disable it and make install
possible..?

Best regards :-)
Tomek