Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:48:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Coyne <pcoyne@br-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail host map lookup timeout

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Paul Coyne wrote:

> Yes, they do eventually go away and when queue is reprocessed.     However,
> what do you mean by DNS outage? [I would have a very short career if it was
> going out regularly :-) ],

The DNS system was not responding.

>  We do have T1 access, and DNS (multiple FreeBSD
> 2.2.2 boxes supporting 2000 corporate users, rock solid I might add) has
> given us no problems.   I would agree the the lookup is failing, but why?

Perhaps the .com server was taking too long. I've had times that the .com
root server takes several seconds to respond.

> Does sendmail timeout  (maybe some sendmail.cf pararmeter?) on the lookup,
> where as a manual nslookup doesn't?

The resolver libraries give up after a couple of minutes.

> I know there are a lot of variables that can effect DNS, but any pointers
> would be appreciated.

Your ISP's net could have been over-congested and dropped the packet.

I can't really say for sure.  You'd have to get some debug output from
sendmail as to what exactly it's doing.

Do you have sendmail set up to queue mail sends versus sending it
immediately?