Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:54:19 -0700
From:      matthew@netsol.net (netsol,matthew)
To:        "Helbig" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Regarding release make

I installed FreeBSD release 2.2.2. into my 486/66 AMD CPU computer and
Cyrix 6x86 100MHZ.  Each has 1 IDE drive.

I met a few hard problem:

1. When I change into the release directory and issue "make release".  the
compilation will end me up with error code like: ***stop
			Error code 71
		         ***stop
			Error code 1
It seems that this make command cann't work in release directory.  I tried
"/sys/i386/boot directory's make command.  It would not work either and the
error message was same.

I did succesfully compiled a new kernel.  But I am wondering how to compile
the boot.flp image.  I looked the GENERIC file where there is an entry"
options	Visulconfig".
And it's uncommented.  But It seems the userconfig.c is not compiled into
the kernel.

I downloaded the release from Internet: ftp.cdrom.com.  I got every thing
full part except the package where there are huge number of stuff.

2. I also realized that your release has no "gateway" file in /etc, yet
according Orelly's BSD 4.4 Book.  There seems a such fle, for linux it's
true.  So I don't know how to configure the gateway under BSD.  Please let
me know.

3. Another problem I met now is that I am not sure how to configure the
routed.  I tried use one of my BSD to FTP the other BSD.  The ping works
but also said "no host in route table".  The FTP is not successful, neither
my Win95.  Even Win95 can't ping the BSD out.  I guess it's the wrong
routed configureation I did caused the problem.

One more thing that is I visited your web site.  And from the BSD history
page you talked about the legal battle between Novel and Berkely.  I wonder
if Novell win and how Berkely still isuued BSD4.4.  Also I wonder if
Berkely is still carrying on the research on their BSD.
Since there are various parts of the OS is written by different people.
How Novell can take all away?

		Matt

Thank you for your responce.