Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:47:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
To:        bright@mu.org, jason@macadamian.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mmap/madvise

Jason Mawdsley <jason@macadamian.com> asks:

>  > I am looking for a way to reserve memory, without actually allocating the
>  > swap space.

Alfred Perlstein answers:

>  Just proceed normally, freebsd does overcommit such that you really
>  don't need to do anything special to get the results you desire.

I assume Jason is writting a userland application, but I cannot tell
how he was using the allocated memory. Alfred is correct in that
allocated memory is not even physical until needed and only paged back
if modified AND space becomes low.

Without information of what he was doing, I was trying to read between
the lines of his message and wonder if he needs the memory physically
there and wired (using mprotect) to prevent the memory from being released.

--mark tinguely.